Tuesday, August 31, 2010

104. Going Off Antihistimines

Well, today was the first day without Zyrtec. I haven't felt very good, to say the least, but so far it's tolerable. I still have 2 more days on the doxepin, though. I take that in the evening.

I still sort of find things to keep me busy, even though I feel crumby. I just pace myself and pick things to do that are reasonable, considering how I feel.

So I started portioning out my weekly meds, but I need to get some refills, and I try to do that on the first of the month so that that will count for meeting my "share of cost" for Medicaid, my secondary health insurance.

I also vacuumed and cleaned the bathroom. Did a few little things in the kitchen. Otherwise I've been working on my recipe database more.

I also did some exercises for fibromyalgia too. At least now I have a selection of exercises I can do to mix it up and also to adjust what I do according to how I feel.

Tomorrow is going to be a very busy and difficult day.

First of all, I have a whole slew of blood tests, which I have to fast for. Since my breakfast meds/supplements are by far the largest quantity of any during the day, it's hard to take them without eating to help get them down. So I'll probably have to take my pre-breakfast ones and then go to the lab to get the blood tests done. Then I'll come home and have breakfast.

I have two doctor's appointments, also, so I won't have a lot of time to dilly dally. And I promised the physical therapy place I'd stop by tomorrow with the p/t prescription and my insurance cards, and I should also get some detailed medical bills from a couple places. These things are all in the same general area, near each other.

I also have to pick up my meds from the pharmacy, because I won't have enough for the next day.

This might not sound like a lot, but it's REALLY a lot when you feel crumby and you just sort of do things even though you're only half there. At least in body you can physically be present for these things.

I bought a container of mushrooms at BJs the other day, so a while ago I decided what to do with them. I have enough (you get big containers of things at places like BJs) to make both a mushroom pirog (a Russian recipe, a large flat yeast dish with a filling and then another piece of dough on top, perhaps like a pizza sandwich, but without the sauce) and also mushroom "meatballs" to go with the marinara sauce I have frozen from my earlier roma tomato plant). I also have a couple sweet potatoes that I need to make a salad with. I'll probably do that Thursday. Cooking is sort of a fun outlet for me, something that gives me pleasure and I also try to cook healthy, although I am also planning a not-so-healthy sweet.

Last fall when I sort of went overboard on holiday baking (although, in hindsight, it may be the last time I do that for the family, so I hope that, and my putting on Thanksgiving dinner, are good memories for the others) I learned about cake balls. You can really get creative with them, and for my Christmas baking I made a walnut cake to use in the cake balls. But this time I want to make a chocolate & cherry cake. This will be a smaller cake (the walnut cake was a large sheet cake), so it won't make so many. How it works, basically, is you make (or buy, I suppose) a cake and use something as a binder, such as frosting, cake fillings, and the like. You break up the cake to make cake crumbs and then mix it with the binder (frosting or whatever). Then you make little balls out of this mixture. Finally, you melt candy coating and dip the balls in the coating like you would do for truffles. So, really, the sky's the limit on all the possible combinations you could make. The cake I've chosen this time is a single-layer chocolate-cherry round cake, and then I'll bind the crumbs with homemade cherry filling. I have a bunch of candy coating (and other holiday baking components too) left from last fall, so I could use either the light or dark chocolate coatings to dip them in.

Then I have to just try to not eat them all at once, but spread them out as little treats. That's why I don't bake much, although I've found that I have pretty good self-control when I make popsicles or put homemade ice cream, sorbet, etc. in some popsicle push-up molds I have. I have yummy Mexican mango popsicles now.

I guess that's all for now. Have a good evening.

~ Meg