Monday, August 30, 2010

103. A Busy Day

Today I had 2 doctor's appointments and also had a blood test done, and since one of the doctor's appointments was about halfway to BJs and I was down to 1/4 tank of gas, I swung by down there too to pick up some staples (such as oatmeal ingredients and fruit for my smoothies).

The first appointment didn't do much as far as diagnosing this new ailment, but I did get a new physical therapy script from it.

At the lab, the technician had to try 3 times to get a vein for just one test. So I had 3 bandaids on my arms & one hand for a while. Usually my veins aren't that hard to find.

The next appointment was the doctor filling in for my regular doctor (actually the other one was too, but he's been filling in for her all summer while she's on maternity leave). This doctor did a lot, it seems to me.

First, he said that if I was going to have allergy immunization I had to have another set of tests done. The clincher, though, is that for those tests I have to get off the two antihistimines I just started Saturday. I guess we'll find out what's helping more, my stopping my magnesium oxide-containing supplements or the antihistimines. Needless to say, I am not particularly looking forward to this.

He also ordered a whole slew of blood tests, which I'll get on Wed., when I see the neurologist about my weakness and other things with my head (some numbness in the face and a feeling of "fullness" in the head, for example). The neurologist is in the same building as the lab is. But I have to fast for the blood tests, and I usually like to do those kinds of tests in the morning, but my neurology appt. is in the afternoon. I may just end out making 2 trips down there; at least it's not too far.

I did also manage to double book myself next Tuesday for the allergy tests and the physical therapy evaluation, so I have to try to fix that tomorrow.

The rash is way lessened, but I think I still have some facial swelling and definitely also have feelings of weakness, and it's possible my vestibular neuronitis (dizziness from my left ear being "overactive") might be acting up a little too.

If anyone tells you about the many benefits of being on disability, don't believe them!

I also made a special trip up to the dollar store to pick up a bag of cat food to feed the stray cats here. Several people do it and I ran out and then didn't have any money, and it might be that others were broke the same time I was because it seemed like the cats haven't been having much food lately. They really are a reasonably nice bunch of cats and they're all able to eat together around the food dish, except for this one especially ornery one. Actually, the ornery one is sort of a Jeckle and Hyde; she can be very lovey dovey but she's also scratched me twice, once so that I got a decent bleeding going on.

Since I'm going to be getting off these medicines, it's probably going to be at least a week before I'm up to working on my autobiography again though, although I did think of another thing I could do that wouldn't take so much concentrated mental work.

~ Meg