Friday, September 3, 2010

106. Health, etc.

I actually felt a bit better today, although my face is still swollen. Maybe I'm getting used to it, but I'm not using the CPAP because of it, which isn't good either.

Yesterday at my doctor's appointment I said that if the bruising at the puncture points (where I had blood taken from for tests, for example) was a trend then the places where I'd had blood taken the day before should develop into bruises too. Well, lo and behold they are indeed developing into new bruise spots. I had to go in to have another blood test done for my Wed. rheumatologist appointment.

Other than paying rent and getting bloodwork done, I piddled around at home. The sweet potato salad I made yesterday is okay but nothing to get excited about. I got canteloupe and corn on the cob yesterday because they were on sale. Since tomorrow is laundry day and my washer/dryer takes up half the kitchen, including limiting access to the fridge (I can't open the door all the way when it's moved into the kitchen for laundry), I thought I'd better do some cooking today. I finished the sesame beef and broccoli stir fry yesterday, too, so I needed a new main dish. I made the mushroom "meat" balls, and they came out pretty good. So I've got the frozen marinara in defrosting and I'll use my homemade spinach linguine to go with it. I'm not vegetarian, but I sometimes have vegetarian main dishes.

For the canteloupe I'm making gelato. The sale on canteloupe was 2 for the price of 1, so I have 2 canteloupes and the gelato didn't quite use 1 (I froze the remainder of that canteloupe for use in smoothies). I have a couple other recipes to try with the other canteloupe. Right now I'm waiting for the simple syrup to cool down so I can add it to the canteloupe puree and then I'll chill it overnight before finishing the gelato. Fortunately, I'd bought All Whites with a coupon at BJs, but I froze all 4 cartons, so I have to defrost it now, as this recipe uses egg whites.

And since I had finished my silken tofu, which I was using in smoothies, and the All Whites was frozen (I didn't plan ahead on that one) I had to find a substitute for my evening smoothie, and I remembered that I'd recently come across smoothie recipes using avocado, and luckily for me, I bought 2 on sale, so I used one for my smoothie. I must say that the smoothie came out fine, although the color was a bit odd for a smoothie. But at least it's healthy and tastes good.

I hope I'm better soon so that I can get back to the main topic of this blog.