Thursday, May 10, 2012

395. Military Chaplaincy, Pt. 13 (Dept. of the Army, pt. 10)

I got a later start today because of a doctor's appointment. 

We're on Chapter 13, "The United States Continental Army Command Chaplain," and  Section I. "The USCONARC Staff Chaplain. (U.S.CONtinental ARmy Command = USCONARC)

"149. Functions.
...
d. Supervision of the character guidance program within USCONARC." (p. 66)

I don't know that either of the chaplains in the Vienna mission reached this level, especially since they were in the reserves, although it's possible that they were not always in the reserves.  I know that the H.R. director has been the pastor of a Presbyterian church in, I believe it was, Colorado. He (and his wife) was the more savvy and sort of more experienced of the two.  That's my memory of them, although I didn't really know the other much. 

So the thing was, though that in a way the H.R. department actually might have filled this role for the Vienna mission, although I'm not sure they did.  I'm not sure how they planned for socialization processes for newcomers and when H.R. type issues came up.  But it seems like they would be the ones to have been included in the discussions and their backgrounds and expertise might have been recognized and valued for what it was, and thus spreading the Army-type approach to things beyond just my little experience to others as well, although maybe my experience was somewhat unique because of my dad being a national security issue, and my job being so close to the top echelons of power in the mission and even just down the hall to the various persons of power, including H.R. and women's ministry, as well as the director and assistant director (my boss, at least part of the time, when they weren't flying me back to the USA or putting me in other positions).

***
Section II. "The U.S. Army Chaplain School"

"152. Organization

c. The Organization for Instruction. The Organization of the school reflects the areas in which instruction is administered

(2) The Resident Instruction Department conducts all instruction given students in residence at the U.S. Army Chaplain School...

(b) The Common Subjects committee is concerned with instruction in military and staff subjects related to the work of the chaplain." (p. 67-68)
The main point I wanted here in point (b), but I felt I had to include the other headings so you'd at least have a general understanding as to where (b) was in the handbook.

So basically this is a school for the training of chaplains that includes subjects about the "military and staff subjects related to the work of the chaplains."  I expect that high on that agenda is the character guidance materials and the values of the army.  But I'm sure they have to learn more technical things too to be versed in the basics of whatever it takes to be able to related to the soldiers and not look like a blooming idiot that just walked in from seminary or something.

And I wonder if they have attitude checks during those courses?  I mean for a seminarian or a pastor being hit with some of those "military and staff subjects" it might take a lot to still maintain an attitude satisfactory to the Army, and I'm sure that some of those instructors know a thing or two about gaging attitudes, too.  If I close my eyes, I might almost think I were in the Vienna mission having an attitude check.

***
Chapter 14. "The Chief of Chaplains," Section 1, "The Office of the Chief of Chaplains."

"155. Organization and Functions

d. Plans, Programs, and Policies Directorate. Responsible for creating long-range and mid-range plans and ... develops programs concerning character guidance,.... responsible for mission supervision of the U.S. Army Chaplain Board; a class II activity, in implementing and operating certain elements of the character guidance and religious education program and spiritual and moral welfare activities; develops mobilization plans; monitors chaplain combat development activities;..."
So their is a chaplaincy heirarchy, even if the chaplain might be locally responsible to a secular military senior.  But the whole chaplaincy has been co-opted by the army, really and is only semi-religious and when it comes down to it it's the epitome of ecumenicism, really, because not only does it not really completely stand for religion, but it doesn't really stand for any particular religion. 

Well, anyway, be that as it may, that's nothing new and everyone knows that, so maybe I should just have spared my breath on that paragraph.  But when you look at it, the Chief of Chaplain is more concerned with military-related things.  Is that the kind of mentality the H.R. director brought with him to the Vienna mission?  Was he more concerned for the military than for spiritual issues?  What was his attitude towards me versus my dad?  Of course, if all they thought of me was that I was a secretary, then that must come into play as well. 

Let's list the things here relevant to the chaplain (I've underlined them).

  • character guidance program (developes, implements, operates) [army]
  • religious education program [chaplain]
  • spiritual welfare activities [chaplain]
  • moral welfare activities [either way]
  • chaplain combat development activities  [army]
Of these the first and last are clearly army programs, and the second and third are clearly chaplain programs, while the fourth could go either way, I think.  So we have a tie, which isn't too bad. 

***
I think that's about all for this text.  It's been interesting and has given a unique insight and overview of the U.S. military chaplain.  I have more articles to discuss, though, which will bring out some more issues.