Monday, March 12, 2012

327. Organizational Behavior, Pt. 51 (Smircich, pt. 4)

I've been working pretty intensely on getting Easter cards out.  I missed sending out Christmas cards (not the first time) and it looked like maybe things were doing to be conducive for sending out Easter cards so I thought I'd give that a try, so I'm really pushing to get these done.  I'm personalizing the letters to a very great extent, so it's pretty time consuming and I've only got 10 done so far.

But I decided to try to squeeze in another post here.

***

This next section is sort of a general introduction to the rather broad category of culture as variable, in which the author identifies two broad types of culture of variable:

"In the first case, 'culture' is part of the environment and is seen as a determining or inprinting force.  In the second case, organizational culture is seen as a result of human enactment.  In both approaches organizations and cultures are to be known through the study of patterns of relationships across and within boundaries.  The desired outcomes of research into these patterns are statements of contingent relationships that will have applicability for those trying to manage organizations.  Underlying the interests in comparative management and comp corporate culture is the search for predictable means for organizational control and improved means for organization management.  Because both of these research approaches have these basic purposes, the issue of causality is of critical importance." (p. 347)

So basically, the take away here is that these two research methods - one focused on the organization as part of the external cultural envionrment, and the other as a unique cultural entity itself - is that the culture is meant to be studied so that it can be tamed and conquered (by management).  This is a somewhat different approach and one that I highly doubt that the Vienna mission ever used.  It certainly NEVER used with these me (!!!)

This would have been the kind of thinking if it had applied this kind of thinking to me (upon arrival in Vienna - or possibly even earlier, but we'll just say upon my arrival in Vienna). First, of all, cultural issues would have to involve things like what affect I had on the mission's culture; 2), whether I had the potential to instill cultural traits the mission wanted (or didn't want); 3) whether I represented a part of the broader culture they wanted or not, etc.

I don't think they really cared at all about these things because they were just going to impose their own culture anyway and as far as external culture they mostly cared about having people come from churches they had relations from so they could more easily control their image and the like with them - which is why they didn't send me back to the States to my hometown, but whee they would have had little control, but to a city where they would have had more control.  So mostly what they cared about was being able to control the organizational culture and all these other things were of little import.   Control, control, control... that was a major part of their  culture.

***

I'm sorry this is such a short post, but the next section, where we really go into more detail to these two approaches to culture, is quite long, although it's hard to say how much of it I'll end out using.

I have an appointment with the pain doctor, who works with the neuro surgeon, this morning because my lower g.i. system has all but stopped functioning for over a week now, which the doctors attribute to the lumbar stenoses and my legs aren't that great either.  Then I have physical therapy later too.  So we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, I've got to get going to get cleaned up, etc.