Wednesday, January 5, 2011

113. Brief Update

I really haven't forgotten this blog; it's just that I have not been well. My health has actually been deteriorating, but the situation has also been aggravated by my problems with doctors... it's a long story. I didn't want to discuss the present too much yet here, but I've tried doing a little of that in another venue. Here's a brief summary though.

My pain worsened rapidly the first 2 months (starting early Sept.) and then I started getting more and worse neurological symptoms. There are (at last count) three different things going on, which may be interrelated, at least to some extent. These are: cervical stenosis, gastroentological (g.i.) problems (I'll know more tomorrow when I see the g.i. doctor following a battery of tests), and the allergic reaction that started the end of Aug. Currently the allergy doctor doesn't think it's an allergy at all, but something else. I'm not sure it he knows what it is, but I see him Monday. I'm also having cervical surgery next week - diskectomy and fusion.

I've had a horrible time with doctors, though. I'm not sure I want to go into the details now, but I've ended out having doctors all over the place - rather than all at the University of Miami. Also, most of the UM facilities & doctors dropped my insurance, which led to another problem. And my primary care, who was very excellent, first went on maternity leave all summer, came back for a month or so, and then left all together. And my physiatrist, who treats me for fibromyalgia and spinal issues, was only part-time for about 6 months for health reasons. When I tried to fill in the gaps left by these two doctors I had some difficulty, and my neurologist went off in not only useless, but harmful tangents. It's a big mess.

Right now my main priority is getting the health care I need, and the cervical is the most pressing. I've had 3 epidural shots for the neck, am on 300 mg/day of tramadol. I was able to drop the oxycodone after having the second epidural shot. But I'm also having neurological symptoms, including weakness and poor muscle control of the arms/hands and legs. I also think my digestive system has been affected. I've also had increasing numbness not only in the hands and feet, but on my face and sometimes even my scalp.

My church has been such a blessing to me in this difficult time. I don't hear anything from my brothers (not surprising given our recent history... ), although mom and I have contact.

I hope you can understand now why I've had to take a hiatus from this blog for a while.

~ Meg